Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tales from the Kitchen....

This week, I have channeled my inner Betty Crocker or is it Sara Lee?   When I went to Ohio last February , I discovered something. 

Pepperoni rolls...its an Ohio thing, I guess, because i've never had them before. We found them at    Walmart, and they were so good! I've been on the hunt for a recipe, but waited till now to try them out. I am sometimes scared of baking, but not so much anymore. But I have a really easy recipe and I will share with you here.

First you need one loaf from this...
And of course ....


           You can use either sharp or mild...I like mild.
                      Some oregano to taste.... 
               And lastly, you can't get enough!

      Rhodes Bake-N-Serve Frozen Dough, Pepperoni Rolls (phew, that was enough)

1 loaf Rhodes White Bread Dough, thawed and risen
1 tsp Oregano
4 oz Pepperoni, chopped
4 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
Parmesan Cheese, grated

Thaw dough until soft and risen. (4-5 hrs at rm temp.)
On a floured surface, roll out dough into 12x16 rectangle. Sprinkle oregano over dough.  Spread with pepperoni and cheddar cheese. Starting with long side, roll up jelly-roll style. Cut into 12 rolls.  Place on a 9" x 13" pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle rolls with parmesan cheese. Cover with plastic wrap that has also been sprayed. Let rise until double in size.   Remove wrap.                                Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.
And they were so much better than Walmart's!
   Here's what happened after. The frozen dough comes in a three pack. I made these on Sunday, I had thawed the entire package on my kitchen counter , and I split it into thirds and put the remaining back in the fridge. On Tuesday, I noticed the entire bag of leftover dough had risen! Shoot, what do I do with this I wondered. It was one of those moments that I  wished I could ask my mom for advice. But then I chuckled.  My mom baked even less than I do.  So it was kind of sad but humorous at the same time. I do love to cook, I am learning to like baking. It takes time and patience. I see blogs of friends of mine and they are so incredibly talented. And I recognize my own talents as well, but I am not nor do I wish to be a perfectionist.  Its trial and error. I have succeses and failures, and its all good. So what happened to my risen dough, was there a second coming, or rising? Why yes....and the cinnamon rolls were divine.  First time too...kind of guessed at it. But the dough is a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment