Monday, May 16, 2011

Sharing Time- Bountiful Basket Recipes

                                            
It's been a few months....but, its Basket Day!
I also ordered with my basket this time the bread...its sooo good. And freezes great.
      The artichoke. Came in my basket...time to cross something off my bucket list. Don't ask.


For those who aren't familiar with Bountiful Basket let me fill you in. Its a food co-op . People pool their money for fresh produce 50% fruit 50% vegetables.  You have to order online by tuesday at http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ and place your order. Then you go to a location of your choosing and pick up way early on Sat. morning. The beauty of this is you get something different every week, and its all locally grown. Several states participate now, but look up the site.

Back to me. The purpose of this post is to write down what I did with my stuff in my basket...well it will be eaten of course, but I have a hard time sometimes eating fruit. Veggies no problem, and its not like I don't like fruit. I do! But I want to be creative to what I will do...so here goes.

I got two artichokes. I have NEVER actually ate one fresh, only in spinach artichoke dip that is always prepared. But if you haven't like me here goes: 1. Wash in cold water. 2. Whack off stem and cut off the top, just a little though. 3. I seasoned mine with a garlic paste that I discussed earlier Gourmet Garden, best stuff ever. 4. Boil or microwave, I heard friends tell me 30-40 minutes, and another friend told me abt the microwave...so thats what I ended up doing. Cover sm bowl with a inch or so of water, doesn't really mater. But I also added a couple slices of lemon to the water, placed the artichoke in and covered with saran wrap.  I microwaved for 5 but maybe 6 minutes next time. 5. I had alot of opinions on this one, butter vs. mayo? I did mayo mixed with a little lemon pepper and sea salt.  Verdict- it was fantastic! The trick to eating one is to suck on the petals, the meat is on the bottom on the petal and you kinda scape with your teeth. The heart of the artichoke is the middle and the more you get down into the better. Try it!

Next, I got cucumbers. I made a italian salad with one..here's the recipe..
4 roma tomatoes
1 cucumber peeled and sliced
1/2 onion or less sliced, or diced.
1 bell pepper sliced
1 can black olives drained
drizzle of olive oil, more or less to taste
A capful of applecider vinegar
1 tbsp good seasons italian dressing mix, to taste
Salt and Pepper

All of the veggies, except for olives came from the basket as well. Mix well. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. Its one of my favorites! I also got some lettuce, no prob eating that.

Next extra cucumbers...this recipe comes from http://www.livinglifereal.blogspot.com/  Thanks Google!



Refrigerator Dill Pickles


3 cups water

6 tablespoons vinegar (we prefer cider vinegar over the white vinegar in the original recipe)

3 tablespoons kosher salt (I used canning salt; religious standards aside, they are interchangeable)

Cucumbers, cut into spears (I cut some spears, some slices, some chunks)

Minced garlic

Fresh dill sprigs (I found this great dill paste in the produce section and used it-Gourmet Garden)

Dried red pepper flakes (optional)



Combine water, vinegar and salt; stir until salt is completely dissolved.



Cut cucumbers as desired. I cut some into spears, but also cut some into slices for sandwiches, and some into chunks.



Place about 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic and a dill sprig (or about 1/4 t. of dill paste) in the bottom of a pint jar. Fill jar half full of cucumber pieces. Add another 1/4 teaspoon of garlic, another dill sprig and fill the rest of the way with cucumber pieces. Pour brine into the jar, making sure all cucumber pieces are covered. Cap and refrigerate for two days before eating.



That's it! Just repeat with as many cucumbers as you have, making more brine as needed. For variety, adjust the amount of garlic and dill to your taste, try different kinds of vinegars or add red pepper flakes to some of the jars for spicy pickles.

Good luck people. I'll let you know how that goes.

As for the fruit, mangoes, blackberries, pineapple, a cantaloupe and a bag of apples. If you have any apple recipes, besides pie...let me know! Or..an apple a day keeps the doctor away.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment