Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sharing Time- Pumpkin Rolls!


There's a story that goes along with these. Its been three years since my mom has been gone. And it is true, time heals a little. But sometimes the pain is just as fresh as the day it happened. I have wonderful friends that have been my family. And some of my friends have gone through the same experiences as myself all shortly, sadly within the same year. As you grieve and live your life, I guess you find what I like to call your new normal. Holidays are not easy for me. I love the reason for the season, but sometimes I wish I could hit a fast forward button. Like two weeks ago, for instance. I had just worked all night, it was my fourth shift of five in one week! Anyways, needed to go into walmart for something. And I walked into a christmas wonderland, complete with the christmas music. As I went shopping for what I needed, I started to cry, and I did this last year at walmart during the holidays, sheesh. I cried and went home and started a new day that night. I think for me, the intial holiday sentiment leaves me choked up sometimes. But as I said, you find your new normal. In Relief Society today, there was a lesson and a question was asked, what are your talents? I am a work in progress, as far as my talents go. But in finding my new normal, I try things that maybe I haven't thought to do before, because its too hard. Or, I don't have the patience for. My friends Theresa, Joeleene and I, are all trying to find the new normal. We have had all had the moment in the walmart or wherever.."What was in that recipe? Mom would know....I wish I could call."

So the recipe I have to share is our pulling our creativeness, or our willingness to try and get in to the holiday spirit. I was the glad recipient a couple of years ago. Now I spent five hours making and giving these away to those that have made my life better. I may not make these until next year, LOL. So much work! But so worth it. If I don't make it to your home with pumpkin rolls, please use the recipe and know I was thinking of you! :)

This comes from the inside label of the libby pumpkin can, plus something extra from theresa-

Cake-

Powdered sugar

3/4 c flour

1/2 tsp each baking powder and baking soda

1/2 tsp each ground cinnamon and cloves

1 tsp ginger

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp lemon juice

1/4 tsp salt

3 large eggs

1 c granulated sugar

2/3 c libby's pumpkin

1 c chopped walnuts or pecans

Filling

1 pkg cream cheese 8 oz

1 c powdered sugar

6 tbsp butter or margarine

1 tsp vanilla

Extra powdered sugar for rolling

Flour sacs to roll the cake, they are very thin, and Theresa said you can find them where you find kitchen towels. But I didn't see them, LOL.

For the cake: Pre heat oven to 375. Combine dry ingredients into bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in bowl until thick, stir in pumpkin then dry ingredients. Pour batter in pan then sprinkle with nuts...Grease and flour cookie sheet like we did, or a 15x10 jelly roll pan that has wax paper and oil on it. Bake for 13-15 minutes until cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and flip on to flour sac or kitchen towel that is covered with powdered sugar. Roll cake and towel together, then cool for twenty minutes on wire rack.

Next, make your filling-

Combine butter, cream cheese and vanilla in mixer. Beat that first, then gradually add the powdered sugar, or you will have a fun mess!

Carefully, unroll your cake!

Spread filling all over the cake, then reroll the cake again, making sure its tight. Sprinkle with more powdered sugar. Wrap tightly in saran wrap and refrigerate for an hr before cutting. I heard you can freeze for easier cutting, but I'm not sure how true that is. Good luck!

3 comments:

  1. Is that picture of yours, 'cause it sure looks scrumptious! I have a Christmas bread recipe (see my Middle Ages blog archive) that makes 6 loaves -- to die for.

    (I hate those melting moments that sneak up on you when you least expect it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definately not a big fan of pumpkin, but that looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete