Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sharing Time- What to do with my Chipotle Peppers from Bountiful Basket?







I ordered my first Bountiful Basket over a month ago. What is Bountiful Basket? Bascially its in western U.S. and its a food co-op of local farmers that provide fresh fruit and veggies, at a low cost. Half of the fun of the basket is that you don't know what your going to get in that weeks basket, case in point...the chipotle pepper. So its been almost a month and i still hadn't figured out what I would try. But I googled chipotle, and saw a couple recipes that I might try and thought to share.
The first recipe is for homeade adobo. I remember the first time I picked up a can of canned chili's in adobo sauce. Me and my roomate about died, they were so darn hot! Seriously like for 5 minutes we had tears in our eyes. So I'm a little skittish....but it involves a crockpot. And I love crockpot cooking, so I'm in. This recipe says it will freeze well. I intend to use it in the next recipe for grilled fish tacos. If you haven't tried fish tacos...you must. They are so good. Really.
Chipotles in Adobo Sauce- from www.dinaskitchen.com
7-10 dried chipotle peppers stemmed and split lenghtwise (I took the seeds out. I'm a chicken)
1/3 cup onion cut in 1/2 " slices ( for the next recipe, i'm pureeing this, doesn't matter)
5 tbsp Cider Vinegar
2 cloves of Garlic sliced
1/4 c of ketchup, and a teaspoon of salt.
3 c water
Over stove, combine ingredients and cook over low heat for an hour and a half. Until chili's are very soft and the liquid reduces to 1 cup. I am experimenting with the crock pot. I don't see why it won't work. I shall see. It keeps several weeks in the fridge, but you can freeze it. Look for recipes like chicken adobo, I guess. But for my purposes...I will need a 1/2 cup in the blender to puree for the marinade for grilled fish tacos.
Grilled Fish Tacos with Chipotle Lime Dressing by Mabcat www.allrecipes.com
Marinade for Fish:
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
1 1/2 tsp honey
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp Cumin and Chili Powder
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp hot sauce or to taste
1 lb of tilapia fillets cut into chunks
Dressing
1 8 oz container light sour cream
1/2 c adobo sauce
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
1/4 tsp cumin and chili powder
1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
Toppings
1 10 oz pkg tortillas (corn or flour)
3 ripe tomatoes seeded and diced
1 bunch cilantro chopped
1 sm head of cabbage cored and shredded (i'll use coleslaw mix?)
2 limes cut in wedges
Make your Marinade:
Whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Pour over tilapia fillets in shallow bowl and marinate for 6-8 hrs.
Make the Dressing:
Combine the sour cream and the 1/2 c of adobo sauce. Stir in the lime juice and zest and other seasonings. Refridgerate until ready to use.
Grill the Marinated Fish:
I will use my grill pan, but if you have never grilled fish. Fish is usually done when it flakes I believe! Cook over 9 minutes, turning once. Have fun grilling outside.
Assemble Tacos:
Place fish in center of tortilla, top with cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro...drizzle with dressing. Another short cut would be use pico de gallo instead of cutting up tomatoes and cilantro..etc. I'm all about a shortcut.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment