Monday, February 14, 2011

Sharing Time- BYU Mint Brownies!



The Mint Brownie...ahhh. First time I ever had one was at Education Week. Oh, they are so good. As I was searching for my adobo recipe, I stumbled across this gem in cyberspace. Oh happy day! This post is for me for later...not that I need to bake these, but I can dream. My brownie making track record is just as bad as frying. Practice makes perfect right? Maybe I'll whip a batch up for St. Patty's Day. If you have never ate a mint brownie, try this recipe. It may be Cindyproof...and maybe not, because Cindy hasn't made these yet! ;)


BYU Mint Brownies- Courtesy of BYU Magazine
Makes a 9x13 pan
Prep and Cook 90 minutes Cool time: 1 hr
1 c. margarine
1/2 c. cocoa
2 tbsp honey
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. chopped walnuts
12 oz chocolate icing ( use your own recipe, or buy the storebought)
Mint Icing
5 tbsp margarine
dash of salt
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp light corn syrup
2 1/3 c . powdered sugar
1/2 tsp mint extract
1-2 drops of green food coloring
Directions
1. Melt margarine and mix in cocoa. Allow to cool. Add honey, eggs, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and add nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes and cool.
2. Prepare Mint Icing: Soften margarine. Add salt, corn syrup and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Add mint extract and food coloring. Mix. Add milk gradually until the consistency is a little thinner than the frosting.
3. Spread mint icing over brownies. Place brownies in the freezer for a short time to stiffen the icing. Remove from the freezer and carefully spread the chocolate icing!
The original site, has also a 3x5 or 4x6 version. But for my purposes, just the generic recipe is good for me. Happy Valentine's Day to you, and happy baking. If you try this, please let me know if it turned out. I'm a little frightened, LOL.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Not that going to BYU for Education Week was a treat in itself, but this was the cherry on top! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love mint brownies! I'll have to check to see how this compares to my recipe.

    ReplyDelete