Friday, April 23, 2010

Sharing Time

I'm thinking about my Dad today. I love my Dad, and it doesn't seem possible that its been 13 yrs since he has passed. But in honor of my Dad, i'm going to share the recipe that always reminds me of my Dad. He was a great cook, and he had the patience to teach me on Saturdays, in between our going to the hardware stores bleh :\ to going to the thrift stores :). So this is a potato chili recipe, no fancy name and no fancy food...but its really good!

What you need:
1 pkg XLNT chili con carne brick, i've seen these at albertsons in the lunchmeat aisle
1 pkg flank steak, or pork or ground beef , cut in small pieces...ground turkey works well too
2 cups dry scalloped potatoes
2 cups of water
1/2 onion diced your choice white, red, sweet...i like the sweet doesn't make me cry as much
1-2 diced fresh tomatoes
1-2 cups shredded cheese...doesn't matter what kind, i like the mexican blend
2 tbs flour mixed with 1/4 c water for thickening, or i have used wondra

What to do: First, preheat skillet to 350- 400 degrees
My dad has always used a electric skillet, i think it works better. But if you don't no worry. Brown the meat with the onions in the skillet , open the chili brick..if you see alot of fat on top, slice that right off. Cut the chili brick in small pieces, i dice it and throw into skillet with meat. Work the chili into the meat and onions. Next, add potatoes and water. Mix the 1/4 c water with flour and stir well. Add flour mixture to skillet. Cover with lid and and turn it down to simmer, i cook around 250, cook 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are done. Last 5-10 min of cooking add cheese and tomatoes. My dad never added tomatoes, but I like it. Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment